Students submit their completed works of art in one or all of the available arts categories:
Winners will advance to the District Reflections Contest.
All rules and entry forms are available for download at the bottom of this web page. More information can also be found at: http://www.jcpta.org/programs/reflections/reflections-students/
All children deserve the opportunity to be involved in the arts. The arts play a critical role in students’ success in school and beyond, enhancing their reading and language skills, mathematical skills, thinking skills, social skills, motivation to learn and positive school environment. The Reflections program encourages students in pre-K through grade 12 to explore the arts. The National PTA Reflections program is PTA’s cornerstone arts program. It offers students the opportunity to earn local, state and even national recognition for original artwork they create in response to a specific theme.
The themes for the 2021-22 school year is “I Will Change the World By". Students will reflect on the theme and create original works of art in the categories of dance choreography, film production, music composition, literature, photography and visual arts. Students who participate in the Reflections Program get an opportunity to explore the arts and culture, develop creative thinking and problem-solving skills, and recognize themselves as artists.
HOW TO ENTER
*Note: All forms and list of rules are available for download at the bottom of this web page.
1. See the link at the bottom of this page for Detailed Category Rules.
2. Choose a category/categories to enter:
Dance Choreography Film/Video Production Literature
Music Composition Photography Visual Arts
3. It is important to abide by the guidelines of each category. Failure to do so could result in disqualification from advancing to the next round.
4. Fill out the Entry Form found here: https://secureservercdn.net/184.108.40.206/2ea.57c.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Reflections_Student_Entry_form_fillable-top.pdf. All entries must be accompanied by an Entry Form
5. Create and have fun! For any questions, contact Lindsey Stevenson at firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Submit completed artwork along with the required forms on October 14th or October 15th from 8:30-9:00 in the cafeteria. Digital files may be submitted through Google drive.
Hard copy packets of entry forms and official rules are available in the front entryway at school.
TIPS FOR PARENTS
Visual arts and Photography – Note size limitations and rules re: copyrighted materials.
Visual arts – New this year is inclusion of 3D artwork (ceramics, carpentry, architecture, etc.). Entries must include 3 photos of entry. See “Preparing Your Entries for Turn-In” below.
Dance – Choreography must by original. Dancing the same steps from a music video of the song is not considered original choreography. Please make your own dance.Film – Although still images can be incorporated into a film piece, ALL still images must also be the work of the student. The student can not use PowerPoint or slideshow software to create their film.
50% Interpretation of Theme – How closely the piece relates to the theme, based on the artwork itself and the artist statement
25% Artistic Merit/Creativity – How creative and original the piece is in its conception of the theme and its presentation25% Mastery of Medium – The level of skill demonstrated in the basic principle/techniques of the arts area
Detailed Category Rules: http://www.jcpta.org/programs/reflections/reflections-students/
Preparing Student Entries for Online Submission: http://www.jcpta.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Preparing-Reflection-Entries-for-Online-submission-1.pdf
Create and have fun! For questions or suggestions, contact Parmalee PTA